Hillary Clinton told the Egyptian prime minister the opposite of what she told Americans about the attack on U.S. facilities in Benghazi, documents released on Thursday suggest. (AP Photo/Alex Brandon, File)
Documents show Clinton told two stories about Benghazi attack
The documents, which were obtained through a records request by Judicial Watch, include notes on telephone conversations between Clinton and then-Egyptian Prime Minister Hisham Kandil from the evening of the Sept. 11, 2012 attack. The event “had nothing to do with the film,” the documents show Clinton telling Kandil.
The press statement Clinton released to Americans on the same day attributed the attack to “inflammatory material posted on the Internet.” After evidence emerged suggesting the assault amounted to a terrorist attack, Clinton attributed the false statement to confusion produced by the “fog of war.”
The new documents reveal that Clinton told Kandil over the phone that her statement wasn’t quite accurate. “We know the attack in Libya had nothing to do with the film. It was a planned attack, not a protest,” she said. Kandil responded, “You’re not kidding. Based on the information we saw today we believe that group that claimed responsibility for this is affiliated with al-Qaeda.”
The documents were previously obtained by the Select Committee on Benghazi, but their Thursday release to Judicial Watch was the first time they were provided to a public entity.